Sea Shepherd is delighted that Coldplay has chosen to support our efforts of stopping the damaging effects of over-fishing and other threats to marine wildlife, particularly issues faced by whales and dolphins.
In 2019, Coldplay pledged to pause their touring until there was an environmentally sustainable way of doing so.
Coldplay’s ‘Music of the Spheres’ World tour kicks off 18 March. When they hit the road, they aim to:
- Cut their tour emissions by 50%, compared to the band’s last tour in 2016-17
- Power every show with renewable, super-slow emission energy – with solar installations, waste cooking oil and a kinetic stadium floor using kinetic bikes powered by fans
- Provide each venue with a sustainability rider requesting best environmental practices
- Encourage fans to use low carbon transport to and from shows via the official tour app and reward those who do with a discount at venues
- Ensure all merchandise is sustainably and ethically sourced
- Offer free drinking water, striving to eliminate plastic bottles at every venue
- Put 10% of all earnings into a fund for environmental and socially conscious causes
If you’re at one of their performances, look out for Sea Shepherd before the start of the show when they showcase us and other organisations they are supporting.
Thank you to Coldplay for raising people’s awareness for what we do and for helping us continue our work to conserve and protect the ocean and its inhabitants.